Saturday, April 2, 2011

I Got a Feeling, WOOHOOO!

I am thoroughly convinced that marketers are more in the business of pitching an emotion and a feeling rather than presenting a product. Sure, in a car commercial you see the vehicle itself and hear of the features, but I think that the bells, whistles, lights and cityscapes in the background of said commercials are what the car companies are hoping stick with you.

Maybe I'm too simple for my own good, but in my mind, a car is a car. If it has four wheels, a motor and can get me safely and consistently from point A to point B, then I'm set. Okay, obviously there are certain very basic necessities that a reliable car has to have, but hold the in-dash navigation and DVD players, please... I digress. Feelings. Kia wants you to FEEL like you're getting a steal of a deal. Lexus wants you to FEEL luxurious. Jeep wants you to FEEL like you can depend on your vehicle in any environment. Hummer wants you to FEEL cool (I know they don't make Hummers anymore, but for a while there, you couldn't tan, have a tribal tattoo and drink Red Bull without too owning a Hummer). In the first commercial below, she even ADMITS it! It's not about the features anymore... It's about the emotions that you experience when you drive.

I think this idea of marketing feelings and emotions applies to every industry, but it is strongest in the auto industry because the market is so sharply divided in regard to class and quality. Here are some commercials that I think supports this theory perfectly... I just blowing smoke? Comment. What do you think? What are you FEELING?






No comments:

Post a Comment